Saturday, May 14, 2011

Where to begin?

There is always a beginning, an initial point at which one realizes that it is now or never.  I am at that point.  I am taking a class (not my first and most assuredly not my last) on technology in education and I realize that though I have dipped my toes in a time or two, it is time to head to the high board and jump in.

This first week, we were asked to read the NETS for Teachers standards on the ISTE website (a highly informative, easy read that I would recommend to any teacher who, like me, knows they should be using technology but has never really truly grasped the necessity of it).  It was revealing to see what I am expected to do with technology in my classroom, with my students and how I have neglected it.  Shame on me.

I am still apprehensive about integrating technology into instruction and using it regularly with my students.  It seems like everytime I have tried, something goes wrong--the wireless goes out (usually), the website is down, someone else hijacks the lab (even though I have a note on the door, but where did the note go?), the lesson before runs over, we have a drill (fire, tornado, whatever!), I have a sub (who is inevitably afraid of computers), no one has done the necessary homework to be able to use the technology, the computers are "acting up" again, ...Do I really need to keep going?

I would not really say that I am afraid to begin this journey (please forgive me for mixing metaphors).  I am more feeling overwhelmed and not sure exactly where to begin.  Right now I am looking for suggestions and support.  I need some encouragers, some friends to come along side and walk with me through this, pointing out areas that could use a bit of technologizing, keeping me motivated when I want to give up.

So, here I am, preparing to enter a whole new phase in my teaching.  Challenging myself to become the teacher I want to be, the best!

2 comments:

  1. Take the plunge. If something goes wrong make it a learning experience for you and your students. They appreciate it teachers try new things whether it works correctly or not. If you have a backup plan, just transition into that and forget about using the technology until the problem is resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. We have our last full week of school this week and I am intending to spend time this weekend planning some technology into at least one subject a couple different times. I know that is starting small, but I know myself well enough to realize that if I try to go too big, I won't follow through!

    ReplyDelete